Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mixtape Review-----I DOOSE IT, VOLUME 1




I Doose It, Volume 1 is the first mixtape offering from Baltimore-area emcee A-Dub, a member of the hip hop collective known (or soon to be known) as Flight Squad Pilot Gang. I take pride in this release that can be found on www.datpiff.com and www.soundcloud.com because not only is A-Dub a very good emcee, but he is also my son. Being a journalist, I have to bring a level of objectivity to the table, so no nepotism is in place when reviewing this mixtape. I am shrewd enough to realize a talented lyricist and artist when I see or hear one. A-Dub is one such entity.
The first thing that catches the eye with I Doose It, Volume 1 is the off-the-wall title. “I doose it” is a catchphrase that A-Dub, born Adam White, Jr., has coined to showcase his enthusiasm for accomplishing goals, both minute and mammoth. The second noticeable aspect of this semi-polished mixtape offering is the multicolored photo montage of the artist, reminiscent of the youthful Nas album picture on the seminal classic Illmatic, splashed with a dash of Andy Warhol for good measure.

This first mixtape offering is a collection of fifteen songs, mostly freestyles over current hot joints. A-Dub starts with the ambient joint "9AM In Baltimore", his dissertation on his come-up through trials and tribulations in Harm City. "Choppa Choppa Down" gives A-Dub the opportunity to shout out his Flight Squad Pilot Gang crew and associates before he goes in rhyme-wise. His verse was cool, but leaves the listener wanting more. Clocking in at 4:08, this track deserves another verse to complete the experience. "Dead Presidents", over the famed Jigga joint from Reasonable Doubt, allows A-Dub the space he needs to lyrically flourish. This is the type of track that a true emcee should murk, just because it is an emotionally-charged track that producer Ski concocted. Cool lyrics, even though I peeped that lyrics at the end of the joint were recycled from a previous track on I Doose It, Volume 1. You can hear fellow FSPG rhyme slinger G-Rich shouting that A-Dub "got off" on the track. Next on the I Doose It agenda is "Money Can Buy", another ambient-type track that allows you to focus on the lyrics being spit. This is another track that focuses on a young person's aspirations of gaining that capital needed to exist in this day and time. "All In Ya Wife", over the Kanye track "All Of The Lights", gives Mr. FSPG himself the chance to flow over a mid-tempo joint. Another cool joint, but this time G-Rich gets the chance to get some shine on the Yeezy instrumental. "Ransom" is another Dirty South-flavored track featuring Flight Squad emcee G-Rich, and this gives the two the opportunity to tag team like WWE wrestlers. Even though I'm not the biggest proponent of that new-age, Dirty South, bounce-type music, I can appreciate that this is what 21st Century emcees are into. G-Rich definitely ripped the mic on this song. Next on the I Doose It menu is "Ballin'", featuring comically Wayne, and is a bouncy track that A-Dub can spit metaphors about getting more and more money. This is definitely a common theme throughout I Doose It, Volume 1, so you can see where his mentality is housed at the moment. Of course the funny part about this track is the "feature" by Mr. Dwayne Carter. Throughout the mixtape, you can see the humor and potential by A-Dub as an artist.

To break up the monotony of the mixtape, you have "How To Love", over the instrumental of the Weezy hit. A-Dub is no Luther Vandross, or even Drake, when it comes to being a melodic cat on the mic, but I don't think he is trying to be. On this mixtape cut, A-Dub is showing the vulnerable side that he sometimes conceals behind his signature Aviator shades. After I snickered a few times while listening to this joint, I was cool with him going outside his hip hop comfort zone for "How To Love". The second half of the album includes mixtape staple "Hustle Hard", where the lyricist gives the listener an introduction to FSPG, and he is able to ride the track like a seasoned vet. The next offering is an unorthodox cut that happens to be the title joint "I Doose It". A-Dub flexs a double-time flow throughout this song. Listening to Homer Simpson yell his signature "Doooooh" on this track will bring a smile to the face of an attentive listener. Over the "I'm Not A Star" instrumental, Mr. FSPG spits line after line that new breed emcees will appreciate. This is one of the songs that I definitely felt because he went in from beginning to end lyrically. The obligatory "Otis" freestyle is in effect here, where A-Dub shouts out his sister (and my daughter) Adrienne for convincing him to include this on I Doose It, Volume 1. This is another cool song where A-Dub spits line after line about obtaining that American Dream that the average hip hop heads are reaching for, if they want to admit or not. "Pilot Gang" is the song that gives shine to Young Coppa, G-Rich, and the rest of the Flight Squad Pilot Gang. Here, the young spitter again showcases a double-time flow that he is developing, adding more flair to his emerging style. The next track, "Premediated Murder", is a metaphorical song where A-Dub gets more personal as an artist. This is where his potential really shines, because you here his struggles, frustrations, and pain from a lyrical aspect. The murder he is speaking about is killing the ills that he experiences and feels on a daily basis. "I'm dark-skinned so the field niggas feel me" is probably the most honest lyric on the entire mixtape, because the youthful Mr. White is embracing his blackness, both as a skin tone and ethnicity. The last track is "Say What's Real", showing the influence that Drake has on his lyrical swagger. This song was a little short in nature, like many of the songs on this artistic collection, but you can feel where he is headed as an emcee.

Overall, I see and hear the potential as a lyricist and emcee throughout I Doose It, Volume 1. Even though the mixtape had some flaws, such as the vocal mix and lack of lyrical diversity, this doesn't mean that I do not like this joint. On the contrary, I celebrate the young man for being honest and showing signs of brilliance on I Doose It, Volume 1. Here, you get an artist that is ready to grow, lyrically and topically. I applaude A-Dub, and the rest of Flight Squad Pilot Gang, for taking initiative and pursuing their dreams. This world would probably be a better place if we all took that honest, yet simple, approach. For his first true mixtape release, I give A-Dub the Fonz thumbs up! My words of encouragement for him and his crew is to find your own lane, don't follow but lead, and continue to grow. Be honest with what you present, musically and lyrically, and the listening world will be ready and attentive. As Phonte so bluntly puts it, "honestly, I like what them young boys is doing", basically giving credence to me NOT hating on this new breed of emcees.

You can download this first offering from A-Dub on www.datpiff.com and www.soundcloud.com. You can also follow A-Dub on Twitter at @Adub_IDooseIt. Below you will find the mixtape in its entirety. Enjoy, critique constructively, and support this young man living out his passion for all to witness!

I Doose it vol.1 by Adam Rozaay White

No comments:

Post a Comment