Friday, May 25, 2012

2012 ROOTS PICNIC MIXTAPE (MIXED BY DJ LOW BUDGET)


I can't believe that the event of all events for my favorite group EVER will soon be upon us.  The 5th Annual Roots Picnic, at cool Philly spot Penn's Landing, will be happening June 2nd and 3rd (which also happens to be the SAME WEEKEND as The Capital Jazz Festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion).  Well, I'm hoping to make that 90 mile trek up I-95 North to the City Of Brotherly Love.  At The Roots Picnic, "brotherly love" will surely reign (of course we're not leaving out the beautiful sistas).  Brotherly love, as in a shared love and passion for musical styles, will be the modus operandi.  DJ Low Budget, one-half of the Hollertronix with Diplo, provides the musical mixture for our listening pleasure.  The mixtape is an amalgamation of music from a diverse set of artists, such as The Roots (of course), Wale, De La Soul, The Tune Yards (get to know them NOW), Rakim, The Beastie Boys (R.I.P. MCA), Danny Brown, Kid Cudi, and countless others. 

If I get the golden opportunity to FINALLY experience the Picnic up close and personal, I will make sure to bask in the glow of all the artists I've been wanting to see for years.  De La and Rakim comes to mind when I say this.  Before I digress any further about the virtues of Golden Era Hip Hop 101, I will allow the D-O-P-E mixtape offering from Low Budget to speak volumes.  Enjoy the Soundcloud-assisted joint, allowing it to be a precursor to the good things on the horizon at Penn's Landing on June 2nd and 3rd.  One love to my Okayplayer family for supplying the goods, as expected.  Okayplayer has a way of spoiling its tried and true followers.  Glad I'm a Charter Member (check the resume AND technique blogosphere)!  Membership has its benefits (pun is proudly intended).  Don't forget to cop tix for the 5th Annual Roots Picnic (shameful plug), and witness a slew of artists sharing the stage with the dopest hip hop group PERIOD.  One love blogosphere!

No comments:

Post a Comment